Position: Van Driver Assistance Success Coach (hybrid position)
Type: Not exempt
Supervisor Title: Administrator
Counting: $21.00 per hour
Function: Supporting the “Next Step to Success” mission led by the program’s Site Manager. The Van Driver-Assistant Success Coach is a professional role model who provides transportation, mentoring, leadership and guidance in a supportive and engaging environment to youth learning to cultivate healthy character traits.
Education & Experience Minimum Qualifications:
• Associate degree or three years of experience working with Next Step to Success children or youth
• Must be 23 years of age to meet vehicle insurance requirements.
• Must hold a valid driver’s license.
• Must meet company-approved safe driver criteria
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
Basic Duties and Obligations
1. Daily transportation of the youth participants to and from the locations (including pickup and drop-off) through the use of company vans.
2. Providing a safe environment for all youth.
3. Follow, plan, prepare, and conduct lesson plans and course activities.
4. Serve as a positive role model and mentor for youth aged 13-16.
5. Ensure youth actively participate in a variety of program activities.
6. Build connections with youth and practice with them the usefulness of the content taught.
7. Accurately collect and record program/attendance and other data as needed.
8. Participate in on- and off-site extracurricular activities and act as a supervisor.
9. Ensures appropriate behavior, safety and development of young participants.
10. Maintain the confidentiality of program participants.
11. Conducts van safety inspections before and after each route
12. Attend team meetings and training, including defensive driver training.
13. Evaluate program equipment and make recommendations for materials, staff and youth supplies.
14. Assistance with daily cleanup, meal times, breaks, etc.
15. Involve parents and other adult family members and other partners in the program.
16. Maintain knowledge and understanding of all NSTS policies and procedures.
17. Monitor and ensure youth safety, including compliance with program policies, policies, and procedures.
18. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and skills requirements
1. Experience and pleasure in working with young people of middle and higher school age.
2. Experienced driver with a positive driving license and completion of the required training.
3. Knowledge of youth development
4. Knowledge of the success sequence
5. Knowledge of the work of Angela Duckworth and Carol Dweck.
6. Knowledge of positive framework conditions for youth development.
7. Knowledge of Norfolk City’s poverty problems.
8. Ability to communicate effectively in various forms; verbally, in writing and by telephone.
9. Ability to develop age-appropriate character development lesson plans and provide character development instruction to youth
10. Ability to work cooperatively in a team.
11. Ability and desire to lead and/or teach extracurricular activities/workshops for different age groups.
12. Ability to seek advice when needed.
13. Awareness of racial differences and impact on the youth of the community.
14. Demonstrates knowledge of success sequence.
15. Motivated, safety conscious and responsible.
human rights plan
1. Demonstrates knowledge of state law to report any suspected abuse or neglect of a minor (Mandated Reporter).
Positions Directly Supervised: None
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
In order to perform this job successfully, a person must be able to perform satisfactorily every essential job task. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable qualified persons with disabilities to perform essential work functions. If reasonable accommodation is required, please contact the Director of Human Resources at (757) 455-6100.
The candidate must be able to perform all the essential duties of the position. Physical requirements include the ability to stand, sit, walk, type, climb stairs, and bend for long periods of time. Must be able to understand written instructions. Must be able to occasionally exert up to 50 pounds of force and lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
This job description does not state or imply in any way that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Success Coach may be asked to follow other directions and perform other tasks requested by the Site Manager.
Apply by emailing your resume to Monique Turner-Lopez, MS email@example.com.