Everything you need to know about using your Gi-Bill benefits – River Journal contributors | Team Cansler

Post 9/11 GI Law Explained

Photo: pexels

Post-9/11 veterans are offered a very large educational benefit thanks to the Post-9/11 GI Bill. All of your education costs, including housing and subsistence allowance, and a book and supply stipend for up to 36 months, are covered. After World War II, Congress passed the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act, which laid the foundation for the GI Act by guaranteeing veterans access to higher education and housing. The current version of the GI Act, which has been revised several times to help war and peacetime veterans, was signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2008 and went into effect the following year. The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017 made further changes to the GI Bill.

Is the GI bill accessible to everyone?

Whether you are still in the military or were honorably discharged, if you have served at least 90 days of active duty since September 10, 2001, you are eligible for post-9/11 GI Bill benefits. The portion of the total benefits you are entitled to is based on the number of years you have served in active service.

To determine qualification, the VA currently uses the following scale:

  • One Hundred Percent: Disabled after at least 30 consecutive days (or 36 months) of active service
  • Almost 90 percent: At least 30 months, maximum 36 months
  • There is an 80% chance that it has been more than 24 months but less than 30 months
  • About 70 percent: Period: At least 18 months, at most 24 months
  • 60 percent: More than 12 months and less than 18 months
  • 50 percent: At least six months, at most twelve months
  • About 40 percent: no less than 90 days and no more than 6 months
  • Zero Profit: Less than ninety days

However, there is no need to keep this information in mind; In August 2020, a section of the Forever GI Bill will go into effect and the details will shift. Half of all awards are paid out in the same 90-day to six-month period. Those who have served between six and eighteen months are eligible for 60 percent of the full benefits package.

The Marine Gunnery’s John David Fry Scholarship Program can provide the benefits of the GI Act to the children or spouses of soldiers killed in action on or after September 11, 2001. Children under the age of 33 and a surviving spouse who has not remarried in the previous 15 years are entitled to these benefits in full.

The process for requesting your own GI invoice

You can submit your application for GI billing benefits online or at your local VA regional office.

Submitting an application is easy, especially when done online. This form requires information about your military service, academic history, and the institution you wish to attend. Make sure you also have your social security and bank details to hand. (While tuition and fee payments go directly to the schools, housing and textbook grants are paid directly to you.)

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your university’s certifying officer. This person can help you complete the application and usually works at the registry office or registry office for aid.

Certificate of Eligibility for the Veterans Affairs Benefits Program

A certificate of eligibility detailing your specific benefits will be sent to you by the VA once you submit your application. At the time of enrollment, you must present these documents to the school of your choice.

Your school cannot charge you late fees or impose other restrictions if there is an outstanding balance in your account due to circumstances beyond your control and your certificate of eligibility serves as confirmation that payment has been made.

Keep in mind that the VA may take some time before issuing your certificate of eligibility.

How much money is there for tuition under the GI Bill?

Tuition and fees, a housing allowance, and a book and utility allowance are all covered by the post-9/11 GI Bill.

The GI Act fully pays state tuition and fees for students attending public universities, but may not apply to private or for-profit institutions. For the 2019-2020 academic year, the maximum allowed by such institutions nationwide is set at $24,476.79. This number often increases by a small amount each year.

Find out if your institution is part of the Yellow Ribbon program if the GI bill isn’t enough to cover your education expenses. This is an agreement whereby colleges and the VA work together to reduce or eliminate that portion of tuition, fees, and other educational expenses not covered by the GI bill. The program is currently only open to servicewomen and men who have already served and their dependents, but will soon also be available to active servicewomen and men.

Many colleges, including the Ivy League, participate in this initiative.

Should I use the GI bill if I’m still in the military?

If you are willing to provide the required amount of service, yes. Maybe, but do you really want that?

While you are on active duty and using your GI bill benefits to pay for school, you will not receive a monthly housing benefit from the GI bill in addition to the housing benefit you currently receive from the military. Depending on where you go to school, housing benefit can be worth as much as tuition waivers. As a result, the money you get from the GI bill is significantly less than what you get after leaving the service.

The decision is ultimately yours.

Housing benefit according to the GI law

Your monthly housing allowance is determined by your benefit entitlement percentage and the number of credits you are enrolled in.

The VA calculates your housing allowance based on the basic allowance for housing (BAH) rates set by the Ministry of Defense. The current cost of living for an E5 with dependents is based on the average salary in that area (not your current location). (Your status does not affect how much money you receive.)

However, the location of the school where the majority of a student’s classes are held is used to calculate housing benefit under the Forever GI Bill. Your monthly stipend more accurately reflects the cost of living if you attend a satellite college miles or even states away from the main campus.

By providing a GI invoice comparison tool, the VA has done much of the legwork for you. Use the search bar to search for a specific institution, then click on the resulting list to view the monthly stipend amount for that institution.

It is important to note the following:

Half the BAH standard rate applies if you are a full-time student enrolled in an online program. This equates to $894.50 per month for the 2019-2020 academic year. If you want the convenience of online classes and the financial savings of taking classes on campus, some educators recommend taking at least one class in person.

This portion of the GI bill is not available to individuals who are less than full-time enrolled in school or who are dependent on a military member who has delegated their services to them.

When and how to use the GI bill for transfer between schools

Changing schools after using the GI Act is very similar to the first application for the GI Act. Information such as your social security number and bank account information will be required along with basic information about your military service, educational background, and where you intend to study.

All of this can be done remotely or in a VA regional office.

Methods to verify current eligibility for GI invoice.

To keep track of your GI billing benefits and how much you have left, it’s important to keep your eBenefits account active.

Provision for your loved ones with your GI bill

Transferring the GI bill to your family members is an option to consider if you already have a degree or have no plans to pursue further education.

You must have six years of service under your belt and the ability to serve an additional four years after your transfer is approved by the Department of Defense to be considered for transfer.

The Department of Defense recommended in early 2019 that eligibility for the transfer option be capped after 16 years of service. However, Congressional lawmakers scuttled the plan in December by inserting relevant language into the annual Defense Authorization Act.

All of the above does not apply if you were awarded the Purple Heart while serving in the Armed Forces; You can transfer your benefits from the GI bill to family members at any time.

If GI billing benefits are transferred to a dependent child, that child must be under the age of 18, or under 23 for some eligible programs. The dependent must be at least 18 years old or a high school senior to qualify for the GI bill.

You can start transferring your benefits by accessing DMDC milConnect. One could start by filling out the “I want to” section at the top of the website. Select the “Transfer my educational achievements” link and proceed from there.

Funny/unconventional/innovative approaches to using GI calculus

The GI calculus can be used in a variety of non-traditional learning environments in addition to typical campus-based settings. It can be used for distance learning like online or correspondence courses.

Assist is available to anyone who wants to start their own business.

There are tutoring services that help students to succeed in their academic activities.

Your services can also be used for vocational training, e.g. B. an apprenticeship or a pilot school can be used. The SAT and the LSAT are also included along with other standardized tests used for accreditation.

Many STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) degrees take longer than the typical four years of college, so veterans who choose to major in these fields are eligible for additional GI Bill benefits. Established under the Forever GI Bill, the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship Fund awards up to $30,000 in scholarships to students majoring in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics on a first-come, first-served basis. . This scholarship is open to veterans and the families of veterans who have died in the line of duty.

Leave a Comment