That St Jude The Information Services internship program offers motivated students the opportunity to gain experience and insights into the fast-moving world of healthcare IT. During a summer internship, interns work side-by-side with IT professionals on projects in a professional environment. Successful candidates qualify for a scholarship.
This specific internship will work alongside the IS Client Services team. The intern should be competent in the following areas.
- Use of Microsoft Office productivity tools including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Forms
- Familiarity with operating Windows and Apple computer systems and basic software and hardware functions and maintenance.
- Familiarity with computer networking fundamentals and basic network security principles.
- Basic understanding of project management and process improvement methods. (e.g. Lean, Six Sigma, TQM, Kaizen)
The internship experience includes:
- An opportunity to work with many specialties within information services in the St Jude Vicinity.
- Process improvement methods, including participating in a project that uses these methods.
- An opportunity to connect with industry experts and observe customer service best practices.
- Discover the latest tools and applications in the IT industry.
All internships are located in Memphis, TN.
The internships in the area of information services are project-oriented and contain various components of an IT environment. The internship concludes with a final presentation for senior department heads.
Applicants should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be reachable during normal office hours, Monday through Friday, June 5, 2023 through August 11, 2023.
Please note: as of 09/10/2021, St Jude The Children’s Research Hospital has made the COVID-19 vaccine mandatory for all employees, contractors and interns, except for those with approved medical or religious housing. Proof of vaccination status is required.
Typical learning opportunities
An experiential and comprehensive program, you’ll develop and refine your practical skills in a variety of areas, including:
- Brainstorming and developing new ideas that will expand the way information technology is delivered to people St Jude Customers (from employees to patient care).
- Training through themed sessions led by IT leaders.
- Working with technology to align the department with institutional strategic direction to meet tomorrow’s challenges.
- Learn about the industry and gain invaluable experience working on IT-related projects.
- In addition, you will take part in a variety of activities such as B. hospital tours, networking opportunities, building relationships with a variety of professionals across the facility, and have access to a dedicated mentor to further develop new skills.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited higher education program.
- Candidates from all courses are accepted; an interest in computer science or another IT-related field is preferred 3.0 GPA or higher. GPA is validated through transcripts and communication with the consultant. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the VP of Academic Programs.
- Must be one Bachelor Student entering sophomore, junior or senior year must be considered.
Characteristics of the successful candidate
Students most likely to be successful as interns will have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and work autonomously when needed
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
How to apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to ITinternships@stjude.org. Your letter should indicate which internship you are applying for with Information Services and a statement of how participating in that internship would support your academic and professional goals.
Please note: Any previous internship or work experience should be included in the CV.
Successful candidates qualify for a scholarship. All other expenses, including room, board and transport, are the responsibility of the selected intern.
Submission deadline for cover letter and CV
The application deadline for the summer internship 2023 is January 31, 2023.
If you have any questions, please email ITinternship@stjude.org.